Titanic Scene

This scene was one of the first I thought of, but definitely one of the hardest to make (because I hate Photoshop). I was having a few technical difficulties with coloring. I also was afraid the finished piece¬†would look too digital again. But I think I’m getting the hang of the method and what’s the best way to make sure everything goes smoothly. I think more detail helps, which I might start adding with gouache or pen and ink on top of the stamps. I’m still experimenting!

roseoceanskyman fullboatTitanic (1)

Mermaid Scene

This was the most difficult! I was really worried it was looking a little too graphic…almost like someone created it on Adobe Illustrator, full digital. I think it’s because the school of fish are all the same stamp, so it makes it look less original (at least to me). And the sea turtle looks pretty clip-art like. This scene is when I noticed that if I’m not careful, rubber-stamping could run the risk of looking like vector-based computer art which Im super not a fan of. Ah well, I’m pretty happy at least with the way it came out overall.

I was trying to get a nice clean blue gradient wash, and it was NOT happening at all. I ended up just working on it more and decided to go with a more lively sea, with different light coming from different areas and sea spray.

fish-color (1) merm (1) ocean1 (1) seaweed (1) mermaidweb

Jurassic Park Scene

I had the idea to use stamps to recreate movie scenes because I was really enjoying making all the little elements in such a minimalist way. Taking certain iconic elements from a movie scene and putting it together sounded like it would be a cool idea. So for each movie scene I do, it won’t be an EXACT replica of the movie. Just certain familiar parts that make the viewer recognize which movie it’s from. The Jurassic Park kitchen is SO recognizable, so I thought I’d start with that.

dino (1)

Artist Scene

I was really excited for my idea with this scene. The picture frames with different watercolor textures was something I suddenly envisioned, and really hoped I could make it look how I wanted. I was trying to figure out how to make a brick pattern, and wasn’t exactly sure how it could be done… But it ended up being the MOST simple thing. I took a small piece of rectangular rubber and repeated the stamp in rows. I didn’t think it would turn out looking like bricks, but it totally did!

bluetextures orangespatter bricks



Witch Scene

In the spirit of Halloween, I decided to start with a ghost or trick-or-treat image. It sort of turned into a larger project…..

Here are some of the rubber stamps I carved for this scene:

stamps1 witchstamps


The background textures I made with watercolor. I was debating on whether or not I should have had a hardwood floor, or kept it simple with plain brown texture. Since this is intended for a young children’s book, my mantra for all of these were to just keep it simple!

stamps3 stamps5 

Photoshop can really irritate me!! I was hoping to find a way to make an entire scene without using photoshop, but I don’t think it can be done. The reason being, rubber stamps are pretty labor-intensive, and I’d have to carve everything in proportion to the background and other objects in the scene. So Photoshop is truly a blessing when it comes to playing with different sizing and proportions for each object. I can enlarge tinier stamps, and shrink down larger stamps. Its great!

I really wasn’t sure how this would turn out, since it’s my first time pairing rubber stamps with watercolor and paint textures. I was scared the mediums wouldn’t fit with each other. BUT I’m so happy with the way it turned out!