In the spirit of Halloween, I decided to start with a ghost or trick-or-treat image. It sort of turned into a larger project…..
Here are some of the rubber stamps I carved for this scene:
The background textures I made with watercolor. I was debating on whether or not I should have had a hardwood floor, or kept it simple with plain brown texture. Since this is intended for a young children’s book, my mantra for all of these were to just keep it simple!
Photoshop can really irritate me!! I was hoping to find a way to make an entire scene without using photoshop, but I don’t think it can be done. The reason being, rubber stamps are pretty labor-intensive, and I’d have to carve everything in proportion to the background and other objects in the scene. So Photoshop is truly a blessing when it comes to playing with different sizing and proportions for each object. I can enlarge tinier stamps, and shrink down larger stamps. Its great!
I really wasn’t sure how this would turn out, since it’s my first time pairing rubber stamps with watercolor and paint textures. I was scared the mediums wouldn’t fit with each other. BUT I’m so happy with the way it turned out!